Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mum, wot's a scribe report?

Scribe Report (Yes, remember them?!!)

Run #1561

Hare: Egghead (but he made the missus cook the curry before she went)

I have half an hour before going to meet Stick Insect at his local boozer and watch the football. So I thought I would reawaken an old tradition, after you’ve read it the cries will be ‘let it sleep!”

I turned into the run site and everyone clapped. Had I scored the winner against Real Madrid? Had they mistaken me for the beer wagon? No, they were just happy that someone else had showed up. With the outstation run drawing thousands we were down to a few. But, it’s not the quantity, it’s the quality. And did we shine!

Egghead called On On and we did a Carl Lewis impersonation into the rubber and directly into a black, black thunderstorm. The lightning raged, thunder roared. Rubber trees bent double, Egghead; like a man possessed, cried ‘the white whale’ and we charged on. Onto the road, check, rain was falling so fast I could only just keep in front of it, the check was broken by a Canuck Chopper Chappie and we rowed our way on, oh no! back check and on back to the road. I looked hopefully both ways for a taxi, but no chance. On On and Egghead had found a hill. In an area that made the Lincolnshire fens enticing to a Sherpa he found a hill, and up we went. He said it was only 220’, but anything over my head is a mountain. Just before the top we hit a check, I headed right, Bart’s son left and the hare advised ‘Greg don’t go that way’, and I learnt later it was because I would have hit the home trail but that’s just what I wanted! Stick Insect worried that City Tits would have drunk all the Chang if we didn’t get back soon. The check was broken, the rain eased and we found ourselves in a surreal, alien landscape. Giant boulders poking up through the earth, or were they alien life forms? Giant brains, quick sign them up for the hash; we need all the help we can get! On On!

A wonderful back check, found by Bart, where (now keep this to yourselves) the sight of the hare standing at the bottom of the hill gave us a hint and no one followed Bart’s enthusiastic cries of On On! It was a long check too, eventually ‘check back’ rang out from the hilltop.

The circle went for hours, charge after charge, gales of knee slapping mirth, more ice or perhaps we just had a few beers, a chat and a laugh. It’s strange, I was disappointed when I saw how small the pack was, but it was a great run, we stayed pretty much together throughout, though to be fair, I did have some assistance, and perhaps, just this once I can agree that the hare on the run can be useful, if only because it was so funny to hear Bart’s excited cries of On as he headed up the hill to the check back! Thanks to the hare!!

Gan Yao

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Gan Yao, there should be more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I'd been there. It's good to read a rehash again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wish you'd been ther? WE wish you'd been there, instead of swanning off to America on some patriotic memory trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, just a quick assignment in Abottabad.

    ReplyDelete